Avocado Baked Eggs
If you’ve never tried eating baked avocado, now’s your chance. This makes a fabulous cooked breakfast, brunch or supper dish… and it’s so simple to make.
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 2 small eggs
- pinch of paprika or cayenne pepper
- 2 rashers (slices) thin-cut bacon
- 2 tsp chopped parsley or chives
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- toasted bread, to serve
1 Preheat the oven to 180°C, 350°F, gas mark 4.
2 Cut the avocado in half and remove the stone (pit). Carefully scoop out a little of the flesh to make room for the eggs.
3 Place the avocados in a small ovenproof dish or into 2 individual ramekins. It’s important that they fit quite tightly to prevent them toppling over and the liquid egg spilling out.
4 Carefully break an egg into each avocado half. Make sure you add the whole yolks and most, if not all, of the white – as much as you can get into the space without it overflowing. Sprinkle with a little paprika or cayenne, plus salt and pepper.
5 Bake in the oven for 15–20 minutes until the whites are set.
6 Meanwhile, heat the grill (broiler) or a frying pan (skillet) and grill (broil) or dry-fry the bacon until crisp and golden. Sprinkle the baked avocado eggs with the chopped herbs, top with the bacon and serve with toast.
OR YOU CAN TRY THIS…
– If you like it hot, sprinkle the cooked eggs with dried chilli flakes or a dash of Tabasco or chilli sauce.
– Instead of bacon, scatter with diced cooked chorizo or spicy sausage.
– For a vegetarian alternative, leave out the bacon and sprinkle with diced tomato. Or cover with grated cheese towards the end of the cooking time and pop back into the oven until it melts.