ACAIIIII, ACAI, AC-CA-I!!!! What is acai, you may ask? It's something that is pretty unfamiliar on our side of the planet. Our interest in acai was born from our Brazilian surfer friends who eat this bowl nearly every day after surfing, but it also works as a DREAM for breakfast. The acai puree is derived from a berry found in the Amazon rainforest and is EXTREMELY high in antioxidants. Fresh acai berries are pretty hard to find outside its native lands, so you will have to settle for a frozen product - but do not be alarmed, it still tastes UH-MAZING!
- Acai Puree:
- 100g frozen acai (frozen packs found at Whole Foods or Amazon)
- 120g whole strawberries, hulled
- 75ml orange juice or any juice or almond milk
- 4 ripe bananas, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1/2 large avocado or 1 small, peeled, stoned and roughly chopped
- 15g honey (optional)
- to serve (per bowl):
- 75g Gluten-free Granola
- 1/4 of the acai purée (see recipe above)
- 5 slices of banana
- 4 slices of strawberry
- a sprinkle of bee pollen
- 4 blueberries
- You will need a Vitamix or high speed blender.
1. Put the frozen acai, strawberries, juice or milk, bananas, avocado and honey, if using, into a large blender and blend until it is a smooth purée.
2. Put the granola into a serving bowl, pour the acai purée over the top, then tap the bowl gently on the work surface to make sure the purée covers the granola evenly. Arrange the fruit on top, with a sprinkle of bee pollen and serve.