15 Minute Creamy Avocado Pasta
PREP TIME: 5 to 10 minutes COOK TIME: 8 to 10 minutes
Gluten-free, nut-free, soy-free, sugar-free, grain-free option
Praised for how easy it is to prepare and for its dairy-free avocado cream sauce, this recipe is one of the most beloved on my website. Heart-healthy avocados are processed with garlic, a touch of olive oil, fresh basil, lemon juice, and sea salt to create one amazing creamy pasta sauce you won’t soon forget.
- 9 oz (255g) uncooked pasta (use gluten-free, if desired)
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, to taste
- 1/4 cup (60ml) fresh basil leaves, plus more for serving
- 4 to 6 tsp (20 to 30ml) fresh lemon juice, to taste
- 1 tbsp (15ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 ripe medium avocado, pitted
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp (1 to 2ml) fine-grain sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Lemon zest, for serving
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the package.
2. While the pasta cooks, make the sauce: In a food processor, combine the garlic and basil and pulse to mince.
3. Add the lemon juice, oil, avocado flesh, and 1 tbsp (15 ml) water and process until smooth, stopping to scrape down the bowl as needed. If the sauce is too thick, add another 1 tsp (15 ml) water. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Drain the pasta and place it back in the pot. Add the avocado sauce and stir until combined. You can gently rewarm the pasta if it has cooled slightly, or simply serve it at room temperature.
5. Top with lemon zest, pepper, and fresh basil leaves, if desired.
Because avocados oxidise quickly after you slice them, this sauce is best served immediately. If you do have leftover sauce, transfer it to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
For a grain-free version, serve this avocado sauce with spiralized or julienned courgette or on a bed of spaghetti squash.
Watch how to make the recipe below: